As soon as the weather turns a bit cheerier, it makes me want to clean my closet, and refresh it with a few fun, colorful pieces! Even if you aren’t in the mood to purge your wardrobe, spring is the perfect time to spruce up your existing outfits, and maybe these ideas will help you mix up pieces you already own! Here are five key pieces that will keep you looking stylish and comfortable, as you transition into summer!
- High Waist Jean: The high waist jean is all over this season, but our very favorite designs are from Madewell. They come with a hefty price tag ($125), but they truly are the quintessential jean. Madewell’s high rise styles come in several different washes (we like Lucille for a dressier look and Hayes for everyday use), and have what the company calls “magic pockets”, which are slimming and look great on just about every style. Best of all, they come in inclusive sizing from petites to tall and curvy. Pair them with the Madewell courier blouses, or tuck in a graphic tee for a look you can wear everywhere.
- Vintage Wash Tee: This one from Free People is the perfect mix of worn-in and cool, and although it has a steep price tag too, it’s really the best tee we found! Add high waist jeans or shorts and a simple pair of neutral sandals or sneakers to take it from school to brunch or shopping with your friends. If you need a more affordable version, Old Navy has a large selection, and most are under $15. They’re a little less vintage-y but they are great if you aren’t sure you’ll wear the trend every day.
- White Sneakers: These classic sneakers go with EVERYTHING, and are under $15…what more can you ask for? If you want more of a splurge option, check out the line of Superga sneakers. They are from Italy, and are a cult favorite among fashion bloggers. White sneakers, affordable or expensive, look great with cut-off jean shorts, mini-length floral dresses, or overalls. If you’re looking for an outfit that will also work for cooler weather, mix white sneakers with high rise jeans, a grey tee, and a military-style green jacket (see below!)
- Military Style Jacket: Think of this jacket as your new neutral…like a denim jacket, it can go with just about your entire closet. Our favorite jacket is from Madewell (the Fleet jacket) but you can find a similar jacket at American Eagle for a lower price. We have seen some bloggers layering their Madewell jackets over flowy skirts and minidresses for a flirty and unexpected look for spring…it also works well for evenings when the weather cools down and you need an extra layer.
- Neutral Sandal: JCrew Factory is one of our favorite sites for inexpensive items that look very high-end. This two strap sandal is the perfect neutral brown color, and will be the best look with your favorite flowy, bohemian dresses. These sandals are also under $25, which makes them a total steal. JCrew Factory also runs promo codes every few weeks, which could drop the price even lower.